Sunday, June 13, 2010

Dynamism


Is that really a word? Ah, who cares! I spent yesterday afternoon and evening up on Cottonwood Pass, one of my very favorite places in Colorado. Knowing the storm moving through would provide interesting weather, I just had to pick somewhere that I thought I could get high enough to look straight into it, rather than being overcome by it. At over 12,000 feet, Cottonwood Pass was just the right place. The clouds never relented right on the pass, but just over on the west side, the mountains created a buffer zone of sorts, where the clouds could race up the mountainsides east of me and leapfrog over, giving me a more calm, clearer base of operations. I had 30 minutes of the conditions you see in this picture [click to enlarge], then the clouds moved in and obscured everything. An hour or so later I got another 15 minute window of opportunity, and then the clouds came back, killing any chance of sunset light. Oh well.

Felt great to be up high again.

1 comment:

Erik Stensland said...

Man, I wish I could read the weather half as well as you. You know where to be and when to be there. It is no wonder that you get so many amazing weather changing images.